Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Laughing together!

"...and a time to laugh" Ecclesiastes 3:4

I read a devotion the other morning on laughter, about how it makes us distinct from other species and when we laugh - especially at ourselves - we find ourselves on common ground with one another. These past four days have been full of laughter, I mean belly laughs, and often I am cause for the laughter - especially when I try to speak the few words I've learned in Xhosa (native language of most children here). I taught them to play a game on the basketball court where you are eliminated if you can't make a certain shot within a timeframe, inevitably when someone is eliminated we all laugh for what seems like an eternity. At first this concerned me because I thought the kids would feel left out, but I think they enjoyed laughing with one another over their plight. One thing is for sure, they were in it together.

One more observation from the past few days... even though they laugh hysterically at me when I try to speak Xhosa (amongst other things), they stick with it until I have learned the words they are trying to teach me (which is not easy for me). I've taken to carrying a small pad of paper and writing down each word (limit of 5 per day) so I can get it down and then when I do get it we laugh again... this time by way of rejoicing together! I pray that lesson sticks with me... laugh often and hard; and persevere together!

These past few days have been the calm before the storm, tomorrow the other 40 children will arrive back at the Academy. Tomorrow will also be the first day I will visit Sweet Home (township our church has adopted). So you can pray for...

  • Preparation for teaching, discipleship, & coaching at the Academy
  • Sweet Home, Sisanda (CHE leader), and all that the Lord is working there
  • Wisdom as we try to market the Retreat Center for World Cup visitors
  • Sleep, sleep, sleep!!!
Ndiya Kuthanda (I love you),
Heather

Just in case you are interested, here are my words for the day:
yizaniapha - come here (many people)
yizapha - come here (one person)
ukutya - food
esikolweni - school
haiybo - no

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    Thanks for your updates. I enjoyed this one about laughter. Sometimes we take life so seriously and we all need to be more light hearted and enjoy God's simple gifts. Glad you are enjoying yourself and open to where God takes you.

    Hugs, Allie

    ReplyDelete