Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why & Where

"Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoner and those who are mistreated as if you yourself were suffering." Hebrews 13:3

What if your "prison" was a shanty town in South Africa (known as townships) with no educational facilities, sparse health care availability, no government assistance, no running water or electricity, over 70% unemployment, and worst of all a place where children are not guaranteed protection, in fact many become the prey of gangs or sexual predators. What if you were "mistreated" because of a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS, your social circumstances or the color of your skin? Now... what if you were someone who is blessed beyond measure and has the time and resources to go and, God-willing, make at least a small impact in the lives of the "prisoners" and those who are "mistreated" in a small corner of the world in South Africa? That is the question I began to ask myself when I realized my current job was coming to an end. So I threw it out there to some friends (Dennis & Susan Wadley) who run Bridges of Hope and along with their staff they came up with a list of ways I could help the efforts of their organization.

On April 20th I will set out for South Africa (as well as a couple other African destinations) for about 2 months. Most of my time will be spent working at the Bridges of Hope Academy, a boarding school for Orphans and Vulnerable Children from the townships outside of Cape Town. I will be leading bible studies, teaching basic business and life skill classes, providing leadership training for the staff and coaching basketball - to name a few of my duties. When I am not working with the Academy I will be helping to develop a retreat center on the property and working with the CHE (Community Health Evangelism) program in the townships.

I've never blogged before, but I will try to keep this updated so those who are interested can follow my journey. I will also make a short trip to Namibia to connect with some friends from my first missionary trip to Africa and then Tanzania as well, where I will meet up with a Young Life group that will be serving in the town of Arusha (more to come on those fronts). Until then, please join me in praying through this journey:
  • Safe and uneventful travel
  • The children at Bridges of Hope Academy (faith, wisdom, joy, protection, hope, and that they will know they are cherished by a God that loves them)
  • The Staff at Bridges of Hope (unity, joy, wisdom, blessing, provision)
  • Me... that God would use me to encourage and strengthen the children and staff and a greater understanding of my purpose for God's glory.
In Christ,
Heather


2 comments:

  1. The Ericksons will be reading and praying. Keep posting, we want to hear stories of God's grace in your life and ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super excited that you are going for so long... I will follow. I think you may end up there. I love you!! Mo

    ReplyDelete