Saturday, April 24, 2010

Upon Arrival

“…May your God whom you serve continually, rescue you! ~Daniel 6:16

I have arrived at Bridges of Hope Academy in Franschhoek, South Africa (just outside of Cape Town). It took my breath away to see the new school building on this beautiful property, knowing that this is a chance for “rescue” for 50 students who otherwise would likely not have an education or a safe place to live. It took my breath away because I’ve been here twice before, once before the school had even begun and once when the school was held in the existing bed & breakfast on the property… beautiful, but hard to manage a learning environment. God has provided Bridges of Hope, with the visionaries to dream this and the provision to build it.

Then… I walked into the building upon my arrival and wow, the hugs and smiles and joyful greetings! There are 12 students here while the others are back in their township for “Freedom Day” a national holiday. Today was my first full day here. After little sleep I met the kids at the school (I stay across the way at the retreat center) and played games with them and then tackled my fear of driving in South Africa as I drove kids into town to walk around (driving on the wrong side of the car & road… little left, big right!). I was blessed to be with them, to see how they look after one another, to hear their desires and goals for the future and to experience their sweet joy. I am certain that God has more to teach me, than I them in these next few months, I pray that I will wholeheartedly give of myself during my time here and that I would be open to receive all that God has for me.

Monkey Story: On the way back from town as I was intently focusing on driving an not killing us all, the kids start yelling with great excitement MONKEY, MONKEY, BIG MONKEY – it took me a bit to discern what they were saying through their accents (I guess I’m actually the one with the accent) then I pulled the car over right in time to see a big monkey head off into the hills – what a sight!

Well, it is 2:00 AM here and even thought I made myself stay up until midnight I can’t seem to sleep well, that is one thing you can pray for. Also pray for my time with these twelve and then the preparation to Teach, train, disciple and coach the kids and staff as they all return later this week. I will post some pictures in the next couple of days.

Many Blessings!

Heather

1 comment:

  1. Following with you on your journey is a blessing! Makes me wish I was there with you. Will pray that you can sleep, i know that this can be a real issue with you. Love you, mo

    ReplyDelete