Friday, June 11, 2010

Thank you for allowing me to walk this journey...

May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

This may seem weird, but I often struggle with the "why" of short mission trips and even though this one is a bit longer than most that I have served on - it is still short in the scheme of things. And if I'm perfectly honest, this trip was as much about me seeking "something" as it was wanting to make an impact for the Lord. The "something" in my mind was for the Lord to show me what is next, "what shall I do?" or "what will you do in my future?" something like that. That answer is still clear as mud.

As I served here at the Academy, I had the chance to walk with kids - all who are orphaned and talk with them about who they can be if they make the choice to truly walk with Christ, teach them life skills - most quite basic, and laugh and cry with them. I realized this journey was mostly about me when my time with them was brought to an abrupt end for unforeseen circumstances and I was left feeling overwhelmed by emotion and a bit cheated that I didn't get to leave them with my "great" words of encouragement that I had spent hours planning", meanwhile they were intensely grieving the circumstances that meant several loved ones in their lives would no longer be here when they would return for the next term in late June.

I think the purpose for missions like this is two-fold, to build up those we encounter and let them know that there are brothers and sisters in Christ willing to walk the journey with them (kids and staff alike). And the second part is that we (I) get to learn from them what simple and unabated joy in the Lord is supposed to be like which allows God to break down the barriers to my joy and pursuit of all other fruits of the Spirit in my life. I am now writing each of the kids a letter along with some pictures I have printed for them, in each letter I have thanked them for allowing me to walk this journey with them for this time. I would say the same to each of you who have encouraged me in writing this blog and found some enjoyment or inspiration in it. As for the question of what shall be next... no clue!

Monday I head for Tanzania and I have no idea what the Lord has in store there!!! Pray for safe travel and a refreshed spirit for a new journey. I don't think I will have internet access there but if so I will try to keep up the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment