Thursday, June 3, 2010

Teach me to Pray

“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John 1:12

One thing I constantly have to say in class or while hanging out with the kids, “English – you must speak English”. This is a rule at the Academy for many reasons, mainly because a person who speaks English well is far more likely to succeed in South Africa (a country where there are 11 official languages and the National Anthem is sung 5 verses in 5 different languages). So as much as I love to hear and learn Xhosa, it’s important to encourage them in speaking English, along with the fact that they could be making fun of me or planning something nefarious in Xhosa and I would never know the difference. The one time, however, that I allow them to speak in Xhosa is when I ask if anyone wants to pray – they will raise their hand enthusiastically and then ask, “may I pray in Xhosa”… “yes you may pray Xhosa”. It blesses me to listen even though I don’t understand a word.

Yesterday I began to pick up a pattern to the way they begin their prayers and asked them to teach me…

Yanga nkosi ngevumthandazo, wabankwana aboncinci, ngenxo koi Yesu Krestu nkosi yethu.

May God hear the prayers of the little children because of Jesus Christ our King.

There was something sweet to me about the way they see themselves as “little children” even though they have been through far more than you or I could imagine in their short lives. In fact we are all “little children” in the presence of our King – right?

Pray for: The kids as the go back to their townships for 2 week break - for protection and safety and that they make good choices. Pray for me as I prepare to finish at the Academy and head to Tanzania.

Pics of dinner with Bible Study Girls



No comments:

Post a Comment