Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hurry Miss Heather it's a bomb!

"For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them" Matthew 18:20


First let me say, to all my teachers a heart-felt apology for being a pain in the “bum” and my gratitude to each and everyone of you! That goes to all of you who teach and are reading this blog… thank you for what you do. That being said, today was my turn to laugh!

One of my duties is to teach computers on Mondays and Tuesdays to Grade 8, 9, 10,11 & 12 learners here at Bridges Academy. I quickly realized that I needed to start with square one, so I am teaching them to type – that’s right Mrs. Whimmer – Heather Mason is teaching typing to High School kids, and English is not their first language and still difficult for many of them! We are using a typing program that works you through the keyboard and times you at different phases (I offer chocolate to the fastest and most improved as a little incentive). Today as I started my grade 9 class, Lazola started calling my name while I was helping another student, I could hear a nervous sound in his voice so naturally I thought he broke the computer. “Miss Heather! Miss Heather! Come quick I think it is a bomb (which sounded like bum when he said it)! I jumped over to where he was sitting and he was holding the laptop up to his ear, then I realized he had accidently turned on the metronome sound that you can use to guide your typing – it did sound a bit like a bomb ticking. It took a moment for the humor to set in, but when I sat down at my desk I started laughing so hard I could barely contain myself, which started them all laughing as well! A bomb in his computer – I love it!

My lesson in all this, we are on this journey together. I have given them much to laugh at… my attempts at Xhosa, my dancing, my funny American sayings and they have allowed me to laugh with them as well!

Pray for:

  • · Continued joy here at Bridges Academy (even with non-stop wind & rain)!
  • · The students to grasp computer skills as they are essential to go on to University or obtain a good job.
  • · Give praise and thanks for all teachers, here at the Academy and throughout the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment