Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sweet Home

"Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14

Today I was able to sneak away from the academy and go with Susan, Sisanda & Mama Lulu to the Creche in Sweet Home. There were twice as many kids as the first time. The first time I went, two weeks ago, many of the kids were scared of us because we were white (many have never seen a white person in their township), today when they saw me come in they mobbed me - It was a bit overwhelming! They saw I had a guitar so right away I played some songs - Yes Kristy we did "At a Time Like This" - and they even remembered most of the hand motions from last time. After that we tried to help with lunch but the kids were too anxious to play with us. With only a couple of us there it was challenging to instruct them to play games (since they don't understand English and almost all of them were 4 or younger) so I did some pat-a-cake and invented some jumping games - we couldn't go outside since most of the kids don't have shoes and the lot is full of rocks and glass.

After I tired from endless rounds of jumping and pat-a-cake, I decided I would just pick up each one vying for my attention and hold them for a minute and look them right in the eyes with a smile. Their reactions varied, some looked right back at me with a huge smile; some rested their head on my shoulder; and others were more interested in touching my hair and playing with it. Just about everyone of them gave me a kiss before I set them down and then they would get in line to be picked up again, well sort of a line. There was a moment when an older boy (about 7 or 8) reached out his arms for me to pick him up, so I did and he smiled bigger than the rest, and then it came to me... he was probably Nomokolwa's son (read the post "Ncuma") and he was at the Creche because he can no longer go to the school he's been attending due to her ill-health. I was so thankful God gave me the opportunity to hold him and show him His love through a smile.

As we drove back to the farm, I thought of how I go about my normal days in America and don't even consider how a simple smile or dedicated moment would bless someone. I'm thankful I get the opportunity to be here and walk the journey at Bridges Academy, Sweet Home, and with the Staff here at the Academy and in the Townships and I pray that I will take those opportunities to simply bless someone always and often in my life wherever I am. I pray the same for you.

Pray for the CHE volunteers who run the Creche (pre-school) that God would bless them and provide beyond what they can imagine for this community outreach, training, materials, strength and joy!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you sang. I'm sure they loved it! haha. Oh, I miss their little faces. Their sweet smiles are the closest thing I've ever encountered to God and His angels.

    ReplyDelete