Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sunday at the Farm

"...for the joy of the LORD is your strength" Nehemiah 8:10

What a beautiful day out here at the farm (everyone refers to property Bridges Academy is on as the farm), the wind has died down a bit and the temps are around 24 (mid-70's). I decided to stay on the farm for the church service with the kids, a church outside of Cape Town has committed to send a pastor out each week to have church here. The message "The Way to Joy" the worship song "If You're Happy and You Know it" - simple message that spoke volumes to my heart. I don't know about you, but I tend to complicate things far more than I should... I'm sure that gives God a chuckle! Even now, at 9:00 tonight, I can hear kids across the way singing "If you're happy and you know it" - I love it.

This afternoon I wandered down to the school to watch the younger kids practice a dance they will perform next weekend for "Caregivers Weekend", they were awesome!!! After the practice the kids, lead by Azile on the djembe drum started a dance game where they would call a person to come to the middle and dance, after that person danced they would all laugh hysterically, but that person was not done... they would be called back two or three more times. It was a blast to watch, until... the name they called was "Miss Heather", I was somewhat anticipating this and decided to use one of my newly learned Xhosa words "Haibo (aye-bo)" which means an emphatic "no"! That did not excuse me from the game and so I went in and threw a little sprinkler move at them then left - they laughed so hard I thought the windows would break and thankfully they did not call me back into the middle! The rest of the afternoon was spent playing games and helping with their studies.

What is God teaching me? Joy is not that complicated!

How can you pray?
  • Productive week at the Academy as I start teaching several classes
  • God would bless this ministry here at the Academy and in the Townships
  • Pray for Nqabo a boy at the Academy with whom I've had some great discussions about faith and God's Word.
  • Pray for the staff to see even a glimpse of the fruit from their work here and for them to be encouraged.
Hamba kakuhle (go well) Sala kakuhle (stay well)!

1 comment:

  1. So precious...they have the best dancing skills I have ever seen...I can totally picture them playing that game. I love how you said that joy is simple. Spoke right to my heart right now. Keep on posting! Love you!

    ReplyDelete